Friday, January 18, 2008

CNY preparations(18 jan)


Today is 19Th of January, and Chinese new year is just around the corner. Today, my family decided to start our annual spring cleaning in preparation for Chinese new year. I groaned. This meant less slacking and more work for me to do. Although my mother calls it "family bonding, i have lots of better ideas for us to"bond". Reluctantly, i rolled up my sleeves, picked up my rag and cloth, and set to work. I started with the windows. It seemed to have accumilated a decade worth of dust and "fossilised"insects.

We cleaned the dog, the fridge was thoroughly wiped, and moped every cranny of the floor. But after 3 hours of 'torture', we were not even half done. But after all, we still had 2 weeks. I could not understand why my mother was so fussed about cleaning the whole house today.

I guess chinese new year means alot to my parents. To them it is much more than just going to my other relatives and eating sweets ang getting hong pao. It is like a tradition to them, passed on from thier ancestors hundreds of years ago. However, more and more people these days are getting lazier. They prefer to stay at home and watch television rather than to visit their relatives. Therefore, i hope that this tradition will still be carried out and will continue for ever. Nil sine labore.

No comments: